Auto accidents happen quite a bit, actually a lot more often than we would like them to. If you find yourself in an auto accident, there are some actions you should take in order to help make the aftermath safer and more efficient. Read these tips offered by a personal injury lawyer:
1. If possible, move the vehicles involved. First check to make sure there are no major injuries. If there are, leave the victims alone and call 911. But, moving the cars that were involved out of the way helps keep subsequent accidents from taking place as drivers approach the area.
2. Once the vehicles are moved out of the way, take pictures of the damage. If possible, take pictures or record the time of day, the weather, the street, or any other contributing factors.
3. After that, exchange your information with the other party or parties involved. It is important to gather and share your name, address, driver’s license number, along with insurance company, policy number and contact information.
4. Depending on the laws of your state, you may need to contact the local police department. If this is required, contact them immediately following the accident. If the law requires getting the law enforcement involved stay with your vehicle and follow proper guidelines and safety procedures.
5. After you have done everything you need to do following the accident, you can then leave the scene if your car is able to drive. If it isn’t, don’t try to drive it or it can further damage it.
6. It is always best to be checked out by a physician. If your injuries are severe or you are in pain, contact your doctor or visit a local emergency room. If you are able to, contact your doctor to see if they can see you that same day. While you may feel already put out by the accident and not have time or energy to seek medical attention, it is quite important to have your symptoms looked at and documented. Many time injuries do not show up for a day or two.
7. Another thing you should do is contact your insurance company. Depending on the laws of your state and the guidelines of the insurance company, they may require different things. Find out, though, what you should do so you can get the car repaired and accident documented as quickly as possible. It can cut down on the time after the crash to get everything complete.
8. Contact personal injury lawyers. Even if you do not feel like it is needed, an attorney knows the laws of the area and can help you get things taken care of properly. They will also be able to decide if you are eligible for any kind of compensation following the accident.
In conclusion, the actions you take after an automobile accident are quite important. Use the information you have here and share the article with a friend so you will have the information you need in an unfortunate situation.